Relational Healthcare highlights the crucial role played by high quality relationships within care systems and as a contributor to health and recovery.
- High income countries now face significant demand pressures from an ageing population, technological advancements that enable more conditions to be treated, and growing pressures from obesity, alcohol abuse and mental health.
- As systems of health and social care become more complex, more specialised, more expensive, and subject to ever more intense political scrutiny, the risks of weak organisational and inter-professional relationships become more acute.
- Health is a major contributor to wellbeing. Where people cannot access healthcare, or the care is poor, there are avoidable deaths and impaired quality of life. Conversely the prevention and treatment of disease means that fewer parents see their children die, pain is relieved, and the ability to participate in society enhanced.
- While healthcare is still often seen in terms of the treatment of disease through technological innovation, there is now greater awareness of the contribution to public health of, for example, improved sanitation and nutrition, as well as the benefits of strong social support.
- A recent meta- analysis concluded that the influence of social relationships on the risk of death is greater than that of physical inactivity and obesity and comparable with well-established risk factors for mortality such as smoking and alcohol.
Care quality and risk
Reviews of major service failures consistently highlight the role of weak relationships. Knowledge is not shared, communication is misunderstood, poor practice or decisions are not challenged and personal and organizational goals are misaligned. Alongside this the relational essence of caring and therapeutic relationships have been compromised by service design, staffing pressures and organizational cultures. Among the results are neglect and abuse of service users, particularly older people and those with disabilities.
Partnership and collaboration
The knowledge, skills and resources to make a difference are rarely located in one profession or organization. Organizational silos, differing funding streams and accountability processes, as well as different professional cultures and training consistently impair the integration of services around the needs of patients and service users. Professionalism is no longer confined to knowledge and technical skills, but must also be reflected in the development and conduct of relationships with patients and communities, own and other professions, partner organizations, and regulators and policymakers.
Delivery and performance
Where the funding of health services is the subject of intense political debate, there is great pressure to show that spending translates into improvements, often linked to pledges and targets. The pressure to meet targets easily causes long term damage to trust in relationships and distorts outcomes.
Reform and modernization
Reform leads to changes in organizations, in care pathways, and in the ways services are purchased or commissioned. Failure to consider adequately the impact on relationships compromises the effectiveness of such programmes. After a significant re-organization it can take months – and usually years – to regain the same levels of understanding and trust that are necessary to manage a complex system effectively, with an overall loss of effectiveness and efficiency.
Treatment and care are delivered through relationships, and relationships represent a large part of the support system through which patients recover health.
Public health and relationships
Local public health bodies (such as Health and Wellbeing Boards in the UK) should have good data about the state of relationships in their area, should seek to foster high levels of social support, and promote access to relationships support and counseling.
Consider the relational impact of reforms
Changes to both national policy and local services should be informed by better understanding of the state of the relationships that are essential to these programmes, and how those relationships might be affected by the changes.
Integration of services
These should be driven by a focus on patient needs and health outcomes. Barriers to effective relationships should be systematically identified and addressed.
Relational risk assessment
Health professions, service managers and regulators should all act with greater relational literacy to ensure that relationships that might give rise to service failures or impact patient safety and care quality are identified and addressed.
Latest Healthcare Posts
5 mg Lipitor How Much Generic Lipitor Best Place To Purchase Cheap Lipitor. Lipitor (Atorvastatin) works by blocking an enzyme that is needed by the body to make cholesterol, thereby reducing the amount of cholesterol in the blood. Lipitor is
In linea Zebeta Ordine Generico Zebeta Migliore farmacia Per ordinare generico Zebeta Bisoprolol senza prescrizione. Zebeta Generico (Bisoprololo) è usato nel trattamento dell’ ipertensione. Bisoprololo è un beta-bloccante. Agisce su alcune componenti chimiche che causano la diminuzione del battito cardiaco
Achat Paypal Noroxin Générique Noroxin Meilleur Pharmacie Pour Acheter Noroxin 400 mg A Prix Reduit. Noroxin est utilisé pour traiter les infections bactériennes de la prostate et des voies urinaires. Noroxin traite également la gonorrhée. Note 4.8 étoiles, basé sur
Quanto costa Amoxil 250 mg In linea Generico Amoxil Migliore farmacia per l’acquisto Amoxil Amoxicillin generico. Amoxili si usa per il trattamento dei diversi tipi delle infezioni causati dal batterio come per esempio infezione dell’orecchio, infezione del vescica urinaria, pneumonia,gonorrea
Visite mediche online gratis / Quanto costa Norvasc In linea / Consegna in tutto il mondo (3-7 giorni)
Quanto costa Norvasc In linea Generico Norvasc Il miglior posto per l’acquisto generico Norvasc 2.5 mg senza prescrizione medica. Norvasc Generico è usato da solo o con altri farmaci nel trattamento dell’ ipertensione e dell’ angina (dolore al petto). Valutazione
Vermox Générique Pas Cher En France Générique Vermox Combien Ca Coute 100 mg Vermox Peu Couteux. Vermox est utilisé pour traiter les infections causées par des vers tels que trichocéphale, oxyure, ascaris, et ankylostome. Note 4.6 étoiles, basé sur 101